Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Weekend coyote hunt 9/26

I have been seeing a lot of coyotes while out deer hunting this season. So this past weekend I figured I better try and harvest one of those "song dogs". So when I got out of the woods that night I drove across the road to my uncles house to see if he wanted to go coyote hunting in the morning, he said yes and we made plans to meet up the next morning.
When I woke and stepped outside I knew it was going to be a good day, it was calm, cool, and a front had just passed. I drove out to the farm while it was still dark and met my uncle, we decided on our spot and started our trek up the logging road to our spot, I sat up in a tree, since I had my .223 and could shoot into the field, and my uncle sat on the ground about 10 yards away, since he had a shotgun. As we started a quiet cadence of distress calls I noticed some movement and readied myself, out from the corner of the woods came two twin fork horn buck's, they were a little wary of our calling so after 20 minutes of feeding they decided to hit the road. About that same time my uncle hit a coyote howl call and that's when I saw the two other bucks jump up not 35 yards away, turns out they had been bedded there all morning and I hadnt seen them, two small 2 1/2 year old buck's. Not long after I heard a ruckus in a down tree top, I looked...nothing, I turned away then looked back...and there was a coyote standing 30 yards away in that tree top, I slowly took the safety off and raised my gun, at that same time he took off, running parallel to me so I took a shot...missed, when I tried to rack another round they had gotten mixed up because of how I loaded the gun in the dark, so I never got another shot at him.
We decided to call it a day and headed to the truck. We left the woods that morning without a coyote to show off, but the memories of being out in nature on such a beautiful morning with all the wildlife around us is what hunting is all about. Hunting is not all about the trophy that you harvest, in fact that is a small part of it, it's about being outdoors, breathing that fresh crisp air, about watching the wildlife and how mother nature manages her inhabitants. It's about spending quality time with friends and loved ones, creating memories that only true outdoorsman can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment